dutch

Clos Fourtet 1953

Snel overzicht

Producer
Clos Fourtet
Voorraad
10

Beschikbaarheid: In voorraad

€ 175,00
OF

Clos Fourtet 1953

Meer afbeeldingen

  • Clos Fourtet 1953
  • Clos Fourtet 1953

One bottle of Clos Fourtet 1953  from Saint Emilion. Bottle has been stored in excellent conditions.

 

Clos Fourtet

History

Originating from a defensive fort in the Middle Ages, Clos Fourtet is one of St Emilion’s few walled vineyards, or clos. The chateau was built by the Rulleau family, over limestone quarries that have come to serve as cellars for barrels and bottles. Its military origins were denoted by its name, Camfourtet (loosely translating as Camp Fourtet), which was changed by the Rulleaus in 1868 to Clos Fourtet.

In 1919 the estate was purchased by the Ginestet family, but sold in 1949 to raise money for their purchase of Chateau Margaux. The Lurton family were the new proprietors, and they set about improving the wine by making several changes to its production. They reduced the quantity of Cabernet Sauvignon in the vineyard to make way for the more suitable Merlot, which fared better on the damp clay and limestone soils, and the chai was supplied with stainless steel fermentation tanks.

The Lurton family sold the estate in 2001 to Philippe Cuvelier, a businessman who had made his fortune in stationery prior to his involvement in the wine industry. Cuvelier made significant investments in the vineyard. Today he runs it with the help of estate manager Tony Ballu and winemaker Daniel Alard, both of whom stayed on after the change in ownership. The oenolgist Stéphane Derenoncourt is also there as consultant.

Producent Clos Fourtet
Jaar 1953
Appellation St Emilion
Climat Nee
Flesgrootte 0,75 L
Aantal flessen 1
Conditie Nee
Waardering Nee